The University Chamber Orchestra is a 30- to 40-member ensemble of strings, woodwinds, and horns that specializes in Baroque, Classical, and 20th-century repertoire for smaller orchestra. The group presents three concerts each year, often pairing a major symphony by a Classical composer with an overture, suite, or concerto for similar forces. The Chamber Orchestra also serves as the pit ensemble for the Department’s annual collaboration with the Gilbert & Sullivan Opera Company.
Membership is by competitive audition at the beginning of each Autumn Quarter and is open to current undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and staff, UChicago alumni, and community members.
2019-20 Concert Dates
- Sunday, November 24 at 3:00 p.m., Logan Center Performance Hall
- Saturday, February 8 at 8:00 p.m., Logan Center Performance Hall
- March 13, 14, and 15 as part of the Gilbert & Sullivan Opera Company's annual production in Mandel Hall
- Saturday, May 16 at 8:00 p.m., Logan Center Performance Hall
- Mondays, 7:00-9:30 p.m., Logan Center Penthouse
Students interested in joining the University Chamber Orchestra must sign up for an Instrumental Audition. Audition signup is on the 8th floor lobby of the Logan Center for the Arts beginning Monday, September 23 at 11:00 a.m. and continuing through Monday, September 30. The signup table will be staffed weekdays (M-F) from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and on weekends (Sat/Sun) from 12:00 to 2:00 p.m. The 2019 Instrumental Auditions will be held Wednesday, September 25 through Monday, September 30. Sign up as early as possible for the best selection of audition times.
Please visit the Auditions page for complete information including audition requirements.