The University Chamber Orchestra is a 30- to 40-member ensemble of strings, woodwinds, and horns that specializes in Baroque, Classical, and 20th-century repertoire for smaller orchestra. The group presents three concerts each year, often pairing a major symphony by a Classical composer with an overture, suite, or concerto for similar forces. The Chamber Orchestra also serves as the pit ensemble for the Department’s annual collaboration with the Gilbert & Sullivan Opera Company.
Membership is by competitive audition at the beginning of each Autumn Quarter and is open to current undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and staff, UChicago alumni, and community members.
Rehearsals & Performances
The group rehearses weekly on Mondays, 7:00-9:30 p.m. The Chamber Orchestra presents one concert per quarter and serves as the pit ensemble for the Gilbert & Sullivan production in winter quarter.
- Saturday, November 12, 8:00PM, Logan Performance Hall - Chamber Orchestra & Motet Choir
- Saturday, February 4, 8:00PM, Logan Performance Hall
- Friday and Saturday, March 3 & 4, 7:30PM, Mandel Hall - Gilbert & Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore
- Sunday, March 5, 2:00PM, Mandel Hall - Gilbert & Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore
- Saturday, May 13, 8:00PM, Logan Performance Hall
Students interested in joining the University Chamber Orchestra must audition at the beginning of Autumn Quarter. Please visit the Auditions page for complete information including audition requirements.