Pianists who are interested in participating in the Piano Program or the Chamber Music Program are encouraged to audition via a pre-recorded video submission.
As of October 5, practice rooms in the Logan Center for the Arts are available on a reservation basis. Visit music.uchicago.edu/practicerooms for more information.
Students who are unable to submit a pre-recorded audition may request to complete a live Zoom audition by emailing email@example.com.
Piano Audition Requirements
- Be sure to furnish all information required on the audition form.
- At the beginning of your video, clearly state your name, your instrument, and your preferred choice of activity (Piano Program or Chamber Music).
- Your audition video should include 6-8 minutes of prepared repertoire.
- You may choose the excerpts you play, but they should demonstrate contrasting moods and styles – something fast and flashy, and something slow and lyrical.
- You do not have to play a complete movement or a complete piece: shorter segments are fine.
- Choose repertoire that you are comfortable with and that will allow you to demonstrate your most confident playing.
- Record all of your audition repertoire in one take.
- Before each excerpt, please state the name and composer of the excerpt.
- Your audition video should be no more than 10 minutes in duration. Upload as directed on the audition form.