Students, Professor Augusta Read Thomas sit down with composer Philip Glass
The composition seminar is a weekly session designed for graduate students in composition. It is an open forum for composers to listen to recent music, including their own, and to discuss issues connected with trends, esthetics, and compositional techniques. The entire composition faculty takes part in these sessions. The composition seminar often hosts well-known visiting composers whose works are performed in the city by various groups or ensembles, as well as performers specializing in new music and contemporary techniques.
Unless otherwise noted, all events take place in the Penthouse (9th floor) of the Logan Center for the Arts (915 E. 60th Street, Chicago, IL, 60637) on Tuesdays from 5:00 to 6:20 pm. Wine, beer, and snacks are served.
Schedule for 2018-2019
- 10/9 Tonia Ko, CCCC Post-doctoral Researcher at the University of Chicago
- 10/16: Baldwin Giang (PhD Candidate)
- 10/23: David Rikowski, Walter W. Naumburg Professor of Composition at Brandeis University
- 10/30: Amy Williams, Associate Professor at the University of Pittsburgh
- 11/6: Yuting Tan (PhD Candidate)
- 11/13: Darlene Castro (PhD Candidate)
- 11/20: Gabriel Novak (PhD Candidate)
- 11/27: Sharing Day
- 12/4: Chris Mercer, Lecturer in Composition and Music Technology, Northwestern University