If you wish to apply for graduate study in the Department of Music, please visit the Division of Humanities Admissions page for more information and to complete the Division of Humanities online application. Applications include electronic submission of the following materials:
- Personal statement (1-2 single-spaced pages)
- Two writing samples (around 20 pages each)
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Official TOEFL/IELTS scores if applicant is a non-native English speaker and doesn’t meet the waiver criteria
- Three letters of recommendation
- Application fee of $90 (fee waivers are available to applicants for whom the fee represents a financial hardship)
- Departmental Supplemental Form (accessible via the online application, no need to mail physical copy)
Composers should also upload recent scores (.PDF) and recordings (.MP3) directly to the application.
Composition Students: We are sorry to announce that we will not be reviewing any applications for our graduate program in composition this year. We expect to resume consideration of composition applications next year (for admittance to the 2025-26 class). Please feel free to contact Director of Graduate Admissions, Professor Jennifer Iverson, if you have any questions.
- Your writing samples indicate to the faculty your scope and ability for future research. Two samples (around 20 pages each) are requested.
- Students whose first language is not English must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet-based test (iBT) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). UChicagoGRAD has more information about these tests and the University's English language proficiency requirement and waivers.
- Personal recommendations are an important part of the application process. Upon the completion of your application through Slate, when you click "send", the system will generate a prompt to each email address you provide. Your recommenders may submit their letters online in support of your application.
If you have additional questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Admissions at email@example.com or 773.702.1552. You may also reach the Department of Music at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773.702.2089.