Students, Professor Augusta Read Thomas sit down with composer Philip Glass
The composition seminar is a weekly session designed for graduate students in composition. It is an open forum for composers to listen to recent music, including their own, and to discuss issues connected with trends, esthetics, and compositional techniques. The entire composition faculty takes part in these sessions. The composition seminar often hosts well-known visiting composers whose works are performed in the city by various groups or ensembles, as well as performers specializing in new music and contemporary techniques.
Unless otherwise noted, all events take place in the Penthouse (9th floor) of the Logan Center for the Arts (915 E. 60th Street, Chicago, IL, 60637) on Tuesdays from 5:00 to 6:20 pm. Wine, beer, and snacks are served.
Schedule for 2017-2018
- Sept. 26: Alison Jiang (Phd candidate)
- Oct. 3: Maria Kaoutzani (Phd candidate)
- Oct. 10: Samuel Andreyev (guest composer, Canada/France) ***this seminar will be held in Logan 703***
- Oct. 17: Ted Moore (Phd candidate)
- Oct. 21: Arditti Quartet (NB extra session, 10:30 to 12, Saturday morning)
- Oct. 24: Cracow Duo on recent Polish music
- Oct. 31: Kevin Kay (MA candidate)
- Nov. 7: Aaron Helgeson (Chicago Center for Contemporary Compositon postdoctoral fellow)
- Nov. 14: Imani Winds (intro session)
- Nov. 21: Marta Ptaszynska (UChicago Professor of Music)
- Nov. 28: Open listening session (orchestral music)